morganable news/security& justice
The latest assault comes just days after reports emerged that a large group of armed men riding motorcycles had infiltrated parts of Kebbe LGA, attacking residents, looting shops and destroying property. The recurring attacks have disrupted economic activities and heightened tensions in the area.
KaNo—
At least 28 persons, including a prominent Islamic cleric, have been killed following a deadly attack by suspected bandits on Ungushi community in Kebbe Local Government Area of Sokoto State, in what residents describe as one of the most devastating assaults in the area in recent times.
The victims include the Chief Imam of Ungushi Izala Jumu’at Mosque, Imam Aliyu, whose death has sent shockwaves across the community and beyond.
The attack, which occurred on Sunday evening, has further heightened fears over the deteriorating security situation in parts of the state.
Ungushi and surrounding communities in Kebbe LGA have recently come under increasing threat from armed groups believed to be linked to the Lakurawa terrorist network, raising concerns among residents about the possibility of sustained violence and displacements.
Police Confirm Attack
Confirming the incident, the spokesperson of the Sokoto State Police Command, Ahmed Rufai, said authorities were still working to determine the exact number of casualties.
“It is difficult to ascertain the actual number of victims at the moment, but no fewer than 28 corpses have been recovered following the attack,” he said.
Eyewitness accounts, however, suggest that the number of casualties may be higher, with residents reporting that the attackers stormed the community in large numbers, firing indiscriminately at civilians.
Residents Say Farmers, Civilians, Religious Leaders Targeted
A resident, who requested anonymity due to security concerns, said the attackers targeted unarmed civilians, including farmers, traders and religious leaders.
“These are ordinary people. They are farmers, traders, religious leaders and family members. They have done nothing to deserve this,” the resident lamented.
“People are no longer sleeping peacefully. Families are leaving their homes because they fear another attack. We need urgent intervention before more communities are deserted,” the source said.
The latest assault comes just days after reports emerged that a large group of armed men riding motorcycles had infiltrated parts of Kebbe LGA, attacking residents, looting shops and destroying property.
The recurring attacks have disrupted economic activities and heightened tensions in the area.
During the visit, Koughna held meetings with community leaders and residents, listening to their concerns and evaluating the operational readiness of troops deployed in the area.
He said the Army had adjusted its security architecture to address emerging threats and prevent further infiltration by terrorist groups.
“Troops remain fully deployed, highly alert and operationally focused on protecting lives and property,” Koughna said.
He added that proactive measures had been put in place to detect and neutralise threats before they escalate into large-scale attacks.
“The Nigerian Army remains unwavering in its determination to respond swiftly and decisively to any emerging threats,” he stated.
GOC Assured Residents Of Military Presence
The GOC assured residents that the military would not allow criminal elements to establish safe havens in Kebbe and neighbouring communities, stressing that a robust security presence would be maintained.
“We will continue to maintain a strong presence in this area and ensure that our troops remain ready to respond to any threat to the peace and security of the people,” he said.
“Community support remains a critical component in detecting, disrupting and dismantling terrorist networks before they can launch attacks,” he said, urging residents to report suspicious activities and movements.
Despite these assurances, residents have called for sustained military operations and intelligence-driven strategies to prevent further attacks and rebuild confidence in the affected communities.
A community leader noted that the persistent insecurity had severely disrupted livelihoods, with farmers unable to access their farmlands and children afraid to attend school.
“People cannot farm, children are afraid to go to school, and families are abandoning their homes. If nothing is done urgently, we may witness the complete displacement of these communities,” he warned.
The attack and subsequent military visit form part of ongoing efforts by security agencies to contain rising insecurity in Sokoto and other parts of the North-West, where banditry and terrorism have continued to pose serious challenges.
The incident was also confirmed in a statement issued by the Acting Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, 8 Division, Nigerian Army and Sector 2, Operation Fansan Yamma, Olaniyi Osoba, who reiterated the commitment of troops to safeguarding lives and property.
Atiku Condemns Killing, Urges FG To Take Decisive Action
Meanwhile, former Vice-President, Atiku Abubakar, has condemned the killings and called on the Federal Government to take decisive action to address the growing insecurity across the country.
In a statement shared on his verified X account, Atiku described the victims as innocent Nigerians whose deaths underscore the urgency of addressing security challenges.
“I am devastated by the killing of innocent Nigerians in Ungushi community, Kebbe LGA of Sokoto State,” he said.
He extended his condolences to the bereaved families and the people of Sokoto State, praying for strength and comfort for those affected.
“My heart goes out to the bereaved families and the people of Sokoto State. May Allah forgive the departed and give their loved ones the strength to endure this unbearable loss,” he added.
However, the former Vice-President stressed that expressions of sympathy were no longer sufficient in the face of repeated attacks.
“But condolences are no longer enough. How many more Nigerians must be slaughtered before this government treats the protection of human life as an emergency?” he asked.
“These killings have become frighteningly recurrent, and a government that cannot protect its citizens must not become comfortable issuing statements after every massacre,” he said.
He called on the Federal Government to strengthen intelligence gathering, secure vulnerable communities and ensure that perpetrators of such attacks are brought to justice.
“The Federal Government must move from condolences to action: strengthen intelligence, secure vulnerable communities and bring the perpetrators to justice,” he said.
As insecurity continues to challenge communities across northern Nigeria, stakeholders have emphasised the need for coordinated security responses, improved intelligence networks and sustained engagement with local populations to curb the menace.












