DHQ Denies Claim Of Terrorists’ Base In South West. The Defense Headquarters has denied claims of existing terrorist base in the South West region as banditry spiral with recent cases of abduction and attacks being recorded.
KaNO —
The Defense Headquarters has denied reports suggesting that terrorist groups have established a permanent operational base in Nigeria’s south-west region, describing the recent attack and abduction of pupils and staff in Oyo State as an isolated criminal act.
This was revealed in a statement by Defence spokesperson Michael Onoja on Wednesday.
He said the Chief of Defence Staff, Olufemi Oluyede, “extends his deepest sympathies to the families of the victims, the government and people of Oyo State, and the entire nation” over the abduction.
He described the abduction of innocent children and staff as “a callous and reprehensible act that strikes at the heart of every Nigerian,” assuring families that the Armed Forces of Nigeria were deploying their full operational capacity to secure the safe and unconditional release of all victims.
DHQ Denies Claim Of Terrorists’ Base In South West
He also urged Nigerians to remain calm, united and cooperate with security agencies during the ongoing operations.
On Friday terrorists invaded two schools in communities in the Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, abducting at least 45, including pupils and teachers.
Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, confirmed the attack, revealing that one of the teachers had been killed.
The terrorists marched the victims into the protected forest of Old Oyo National Park.
DHQ Denies Claim Of Terrorists’ Base In South West
Gov Seyi Makinde has stated that he is ready to negotiate with the terrorists.
The abduction has generated outrage and condemnations with many Nigerians saying that terrorists have established a base in the South-west.
Responding to the claim,the Defence Headquarters stated that intelligence assessments did not support the claims that terrorists had established any structured or permanent base within forests or hinterlands in the South-west.
According to to Mr Onoja, the Armed Forces had previously conducted clearance operations in the Old Oyo National Park corridor, neutralising the operational capabilities of criminal elements operating within the area.
DHQ Denies Claim Of Terrorists’ Base In South West
The latest kidnap incident, he said, was an isolated criminal act and does not reflect the existence of any entrenched terrorist structure in the region.
He also cautioned against narratives capable of creating panic among residents or emboldening criminal elements by exaggerating their operational strength.
Further, Mr Onoja disclosed that troops were actively deployed across the forests in pursuit of the abductors and in search of the victims.
He added that troops had made contact with the criminals two days earlier and had since reorganised to sustain search-and-pursuit operations.
DHQ Denies Claim Of Terrorists’ Base In South West
Intensive joint operations involving other security agencies and local vigilantes were ongoing across forest corridors and ungoverned spaces in the zone, he said
The Defence spokesperson also said the military was engaging local communities for intelligence gathering, stressing that cooperation from residents remained critical to efforts aimed at rescuing the abducted victims safely and quickly.
The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas, has called for a “careful, clinical, and timely” operation to rescue the students and teachers abducted from three schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.
The development comes as military jets were seen flying around some towns in Oyo State.A video went viral showing Tucano jets at the tarmac of Ibadan airport on Wednesday.
DHQ Denies Claim Of Terrorists’ Base In South West
Outrage and condemnations have continued to trail as a viral video on Monday showed one of the teachers from the Oyo schools abduction held hostage being beheaded by the abductors.
The victim was later identified as Michael Oyedokun, a mathematics teacher.
On Friday terrorists armed with guns stormed three schools in Oriire Local Government Area,Oyo State,abducting an unspecified number of students and teachers.
Residents described the attack as one of the most daring assaults on school communities in recent times, with gunmen reportedly operating in broad daylight and moving freely between locations without resistance.
DHQ Denies Claim Of Terrorists’ Base In South West
The incident had thrown the community into fear and confusion, with parents, teachers and residents in distress as security operatives launched a manhunt for the kidnappers.
Eyewitness accounts revealed that the hoodlums stormed the communities around 9am, after the pupils gathered for morning assembly and normal school activities.
Accordingg to eye witnesses the assailants arrived on motorcycles and shot sporadically as they entered the school premises and nearby areas.
Speaking on the incident, Governor Seyi Makinde on Monday confirmed that seven students were abducted from Community Secondary School, while 18 children and seven teachers were kidnapped from First Baptist Primary and Nursery School, adding that one person was killed during the attack.
DHQ Denies Claim Of Terrorists’ Base In South West
“Now we can confirm conclusively that at the Community Secondary School, about seven students were abducted, while at the First Baptist Primary and Nursery School, 18 children were abducted, and about seven teachers were also involved. Unfortunately, like I reported yesterday, one of them was killed”Gov Makinde said
He further noted that the government is ready to listen to the abductors and address their needs to ensure the swift release of the children and their teacher.
“If you see something strange, say something, and expect us to do something.
We will not give in to terror. We will do everything possible to ensure that our children and their teachers return safely” he stated
Gani Adams Accuse Yoruba Leaders Of Ignoring Warning Signs The Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland, Gani Adams, has accused South-West governors of failing to address repeated calls and proposals on regional security despite growing threats of kidnapping and banditry across the region.
Adams made the remarks on Tuesday while reacting to the recent attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, where gunmen abducted pupils, students and teachers.
Speaking during an interview on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Tuesday,the Yoruba leader described the incident as tragic and a signal that the South-West could no longer treat insecurity lackadaisically.
“What happened in Oriire Local Government Area in Oyo State a few days ago is very sad and highly condemnable,” he said
DHQ Denies Claim Of Terrorists’ Base In South West
According to him, although cases of kidnapping had been recorded in parts of the region, the latest mass abduction showed that criminal groups were becoming more daring in the South-West.

















































































