Terrorists Attack Niger Mosque, Abduct Worshippers

Terrorists Attack Niger Mosque Abduct Worshippers

Nigerian Troops. Photo Credit-Google

morganable neWS/security& Justice

Among those reportedly abducted were prominent members of the community, including the village head of Ka’ada, who had only recently regained his freedom after a previous abduction.

Terrorists on Friday afternoon invaded a mosque in Gidan-Zana, Kpenya village, in the Dekara District of Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State, abducting an unspecified number of worshippers during Jumat prayers in what residents described as a brazen and traumatic assault on a place of worship.

The attack, which occurred at about 2pm, sent shockwaves through the quiet rural community as heavily armed assailants stormed the Kpenya Mosque and began rounding up worshippers, including women and children.

Witnesses said the gunmen arrived in large numbers, shooting sporadically into the air to scare residents before moving directly into the mosque where congregants had gathered for prayers.

Local sources told Punch News that the attackers operated for several minutes without resistance, taking advantage of the community’s vulnerability and the absence of immediate security presence.

While some residents managed to escape by fleeing into a nearby forest, many others were not as fortunate, as they were forcefully taken away by the attackers.

Village Head Abducted

Among those reportedly abducted were prominent members of the community, including the village head of Ka’ada, who had only recently regained his freedom after a previous abduction.

Also said to have been kidnapped was the 90-year-old father of the District Head of Dekara, a development that has heightened fears and anger among residents over the repeated targeting of traditional leaders.

A resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons, described the incident as terrifying and unprecedented in its scale within the area.

“They came during prayers when everyone was gathered. People started running in all directions, but the gunmen had surrounded the place. Some of us escaped into the bush, but many were taken away. We are still counting those missing,” he said.

The attack underscores the growing insecurity in parts of Niger State, particularly in rural communities where armed groups have continued to carry out kidnappings, raids and other violent activities with increasing frequency.

Police Confirm Attack

Confirming the incident, the spokesman for the Niger State Police Command, Wasui Abiodun, said the attack was reported to authorities later in the day and that security agencies had since mobilised to the area.

“On August 21, 2026 at about 4pm, a report was received indicating that on the same date at about 2pm, suspected terrorists invaded Gidan-Zana, Kpenya village via Dekara District in Borgu Local Government Area and attacked Kpenya mosque, abducting an unspecified number of persons during prayers while others escaped into the nearby forest,” Abiodun said.

He noted that although several persons were abducted, there were no confirmed fatalities at the time of the report.

According to him, a joint security team comprising police and other agencies had been deployed to the affected community to commence rescue operations and restore calm.

Abiodun added that efforts were ongoing to track down the perpetrators and secure the safe release of the abducted victims. However, he did not disclose the exact number of those taken, citing the fluid nature of the situation.

The incident has sparked renewed concern among residents and stakeholders about the persistent security challenges facing Niger State and other parts of the country.

Community leaders have repeatedly called for increased security presence in rural areas, arguing that such communities remain soft targets for criminal elements.

The attack also comes amid growing national anxiety over insecurity and its potential implications for Nigeria’s democratic process ahead of the 2027 general elections.

US Group Warns Against Insecurity Ahead Of 2027 Elections

In a related development, a United States-based election observation group, the International Republican Institute (IRI), has warned that insecurity and political violence pose significant threats to the credibility and success of the upcoming elections.

Speaking at a media briefing in Abuja on Friday, IRI President, Dr Daniel Twining, alongside other senior officials of the organisation, highlighted the need for urgent and coordinated efforts to address security challenges that could undermine voter confidence and participation.

The group expressed concern that persistent violence and insecurity across parts of the country could discourage voters, candidates and observers from participating freely in the electoral process.

According to the institute, such conditions weaken the impact of electoral reforms and technological innovations designed to improve transparency.

“This challenge is unfolding within a political landscape that has transformed considerably since 2023,” the group noted, adding that public confidence in the electoral process remains one of the most critical issues ahead of the 2027 polls.

The IRI delegation, which met with more than 65 stakeholders during its assessment mission, emphasised that electoral credibility goes beyond legal frameworks and technological tools. It stressed that Nigerians must feel safe and confident that their votes will count.

“Credibility is not produced by law, technology or institutions alone. It is built when Nigerians believe they can vote without fear, that their choice will be respected and that power cannot be used to override the will of the voter,” the institute stated.

To address these concerns, the group recommended that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) conduct comprehensive stress tests of its systems, including the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) and the INEC Result Viewing portal (IReV), ahead of the elections.

It also urged electoral authorities to improve communication with the public and collaborate closely with security agencies to ensure the protection of voters, election materials and officials on election day.

Furthermore, the institute called on political parties to refrain from inflammatory rhetoric and to hold their members accountable for acts of violence, vote buying and other electoral offences.

As communities like Gidan-Zana grapple with the aftermath of the mosque attack, many Nigerians are left questioning whether sufficient measures are being taken to address insecurity and safeguard lives, particularly in rural and vulnerable areas.

Exit mobile version