12 Terrorists Killed As Troops Repel Attack In Borno, Nigerian troops have intensified attacks on criminal elements in their efforts to strengthen security.
KANO-
Nigerian Army says the troops of Operation Hadin Kai, a joint task force in the North-east, have repelled an attempted terror attack on a military base in Kirawa, Borno State,killing 12 suspected Boko Haram members.
The development was revealed in a statement by the spokesperson for the joint task force,Sani Uba,on Friday.
According to Sani, the attack occurred in the early hours of Friday along the Nigeria-Cameroon border in the Sector 1 area of the joint task force operation.
He further revealed that the insurgents attempted to infiltrate positions occupied by troops of the 153 Task Force Battalion and associated forces.
12 Terrorists Killed As Troops Repel Attack In Borno
Mr Uba, a lieutenant colonel, said the troops, supported by members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF), detected the assault early and responded with “overwhelming firepower,” forcing the attackers to retreat towards the Cameroon axis with heavy casualties.
“The terrorists were forced to abort their mission and withdraw in confusion towards the Cameroon axis, sustaining heavy casualties during the engagement,” Mr Uba said
The military added that Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance assets, alongside the air components of the joint task force, provided coordinated support during the operation.
” Following the clash,troops reportedly recovered several weapons, including AK-47 rifles, rocket-propelled grenade systems, ammunition, and a PKT machine gun, he said
12 Terrorists Killed As Troops Repel Attack In Borno
Mr Uba further stated that several fleeing insurgents were believed to have sustained gunshot wounds, as blood trails were observed along their withdrawal routes.
He said the troops have since maintained heightened vigilance in the area while exploitation operations continue to track fleeing fighters and recover additional weapons.
Colonel Uba, further stated that, the military high command commended the troops for what it described as gallantry and professionalism, noting that the foiled attack was the third attempted assault repelled within the week.
Police Smash Kidnap Syndicate
Operatives of the Katsina State Police Command have dismantled a seven-man kidnapping syndicate allegedly responsible for the abduction of an eight-year-old boy in Katsina metropolis, recovering part of the ransom money and other exhibits during the operation.
In a statement issued by the Public Relations Officer, DSP Abubakar Sadiq Aliyu, said the victim was abducted on May 13, 2026, at about 6:00 p.m. while returning home from an Islamic school.
The statement explained that the kidnappers contacted the victim’s family a day after the abduction and demanded a ransom of N50 million for the child’s release.
Following negotiations, the family paid N17 million before the victim was freed.
12 Terrorists Killed As Troops Repel Attack In Borno
Upon receiving the report, police operatives launched an investigation and tracked down six members of the gang on Friday.
The Police identified the suspects as Nura Aliyu, 39, who was described as the mastermind and a neighbour to the victim’s family; Abubakar Aminu, 37; Ibrahim Muhammad, 51; Iliyasu Sani, 51; Abubakar Muhammad, 27; and Abdullahi Isma’il, 30.
During the investigation, the suspects confessed and revealed that another accomplice identified simply as Abdul remains at large.
12 Terrorists Killed As Troops Repel Attack In Borno
The police added that a manhunt had already been launched to apprehend the fleeing suspect.
Items recovered from the suspects included a Peugeot 307 vehicle, a Boxer motorcycle, and N7.5 million, believed to be part of the ransom proceeds, alongside other exhibits.
Katsina state Commissioner of Police, Ali Umar Fage, commended the operatives for what he described as a swift and successful operation, reiterating the command’s resolve to intensify efforts against kidnapping and other violent crimes in the state.
Troops Nab Suspected Logistics Supplier
Troops of Sector 3, Operation Enduring Peace, have arrested a 27-year-old suspected criminal accused of providing logistical support to kidnapping and militia gangs operating in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.
Security sources disclosed that the suspect, identified as Kabiru Usman, was apprehended at about 7:15 p.m. on May 23 following credible intelligence received from informants.
The troops intercepted the suspect along the road near the Dong-Rantya Roundabout while he was returning from the Bukuru cattle market.
Preliminary investigations indicated that the suspect allegedly specialised in the purchase and resale of stolen items, including motorcycles and mobile phones, believed to have been looted during kidnapping operations and other criminal attacks within the area.
12 Terrorists Killed As Troops Repel Attack In Borno
Military authorities confirmed that the suspect is currently in custody for further investigation and possible prosecution.
The sources added that the security situation within the area of responsibility remains calm, while troops continue to maintain high morale and operational effectiveness.
Defence Minister Gen. Christopher Musa has identified terrorism as a major threat to the nation’s security.
Speaking in Abuja during the unveiling of a two-volume publication titled: “Counterterrorism and Counterinsurgency Operations in Northeast Nigeria,” the minister stressed that defeating terrorism requires the collective commitment of the Armed Forces, government institutions and citizensnoted that the military alone cannot overcome security challenges.
12 Terrorists Killed As Troops Repel Attack In Borno
He urged stronger national and institutional collaboration to sustain the fight against insurgency and terrorism.
He explained that insurgents often operate within civilian populations, making public vigilance, intelligence sharing, and community support critical to operational success.












