Ex-Servicemen Suspend Protest After Defence Minister Assurance

Ex-Servicemen Suspend Protest After Defence Minister Assurance

Defence Minister,Gen Christopher Gwabin Musa. Photo Credit-Google

morganable news/security& justice

The ex-servicemen had mobilised to protest what they described as the government’s failure to implement consequential pension adjustments following salary increases approved for serving members of the Armed Forces.

Retired military personnel on Wednesday suspended their planned protest in Abuja following assurances from the Minister of Defence, Gen. Christopher Musa (retd.), that the Federal Government would address their long-standing demands over pension adjustments and welfare issues.

The decision came after a closed-door meeting between representatives of the protesting ex-servicemen and senior officials of the Ministry of Defence at Ship House, the ministry’s headquarters in Abuja.

The engagement appeared to have eased tensions that had been building among the veterans, many of whom had gathered in the capital to press for the implementation of what they described as overdue entitlements.

Speaking after the meeting, one of the leaders of the group, Col. Innocent Azubike (retd.), said the authorities had acknowledged the legitimacy of their demands and had begun taking steps to address them.

According to him, the outcome of the engagement met the immediate expectations of the retirees, prompting them to call off the protest.

“Authorities have accepted that our cause was genuine and have promised and initiated action to compute our consequential allowance and include it in the fund requirement for the implementation of the new outcome,” Azubike said.

He described the development as a “mission achieved,” noting that increased public attention played a role in prompting swift government action.

“Part of what really made them react was that the media was publicising it. They felt it was becoming a scandal and quickly moved to solve the problem,” he added.

Azubike further disclosed that the retired personnel had begun dispersing from the protest venue, expressing confidence that the government would follow through on its commitments.

“At this moment, for me, I will be getting back to my station. All our people have dispersed,” he said.

The Minister of Defence, who was represented at the meeting by the Permanent Secretary of the ministry, Dr. Ibrahim Abubakar Kana (or Richard Pheelangwah depending on final attribution), reassured the veterans that their concerns were receiving urgent attention.

Govt To Providing Welfare For Retired Officers

He emphasised the government’s commitment to ensuring that retired military personnel are not unfairly treated in the ongoing review of wages and pensions.

In a statement issued by the ministry’s spokesman, Henshaw Ogubike, the minister said consultations were ongoing with relevant military, pension and financial authorities to arrive at a fair and sustainable resolution.

“Concerns relating to wage and pension adjustments are receiving urgent attention, with relevant military, pension and financial authorities being engaged to achieve a fair, sustainable and implementable resolution that ensures veterans are not unfairly disadvantaged,” the statement read.

Musa also appealed to the ex-servicemen to remain calm and continue to engage the government through dialogue, stressing that any adjustment to their entitlements must follow due process.

“Any adjustment to veterans’ entitlements must be properly computed, adequately funded and implemented in accordance with extant approvals, regulations and due process,” he said.

He further assured them that the Ministry of Defence would maintain continuous engagement with their representatives and provide updates as progress is made.

Security Deployed Ahead Of Protest

The protest, which was initially scheduled to take place at the ministry, had earlier witnessed a heavy deployment of security personnel.

Armed soldiers, police officers, and officials of other security agencies were stationed around Ship House and adjoining roads in anticipation of the demonstration.

Reports from multiple sources revealed that personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Nigerian Army, Nigeria Immigration Service, and Vehicle Inspection Office strategically positioned to prevent a breakdown of law and order.

At least two armoured personnel carriers and over 15 operational vehicles belonging to various security agencies were stationed at key points near the venue.

Tension briefly flared when some of the retired personnel attempted to assemble, leading to a standoff with security operatives.

There were also reports of a confrontation between serving soldiers and the retirees before the situation was brought under control.

Ex-Servicemen Accuse Govt Of Failure To Implement Adjusted Salary

The ex-servicemen had mobilised to protest what they described as the government’s failure to implement consequential pension adjustments following salary increases approved for serving members of the Armed Forces.

They argued that while they supported improved remuneration for active personnel, similar considerations should be extended to retirees whose pensions are tied to military salary structures.

Azubike had earlier clarified that the group was not opposed to the recent salary review for serving personnel but insisted that pensioners should benefit from corresponding adjustments.

He also raised concerns about the latest salary increase announced for military personnel in August 2026, which is expected to take effect from September, alleging that retirees were excluded from the computation.

FG Approves Increment For Armed Forces

The Federal Government recently approved a salary increase ranging from 30 to 80 per cent for members of the Armed Forces, a move aimed at boosting morale among troops engaged in ongoing security operations across the country.

The increment is expected to significantly raise the government’s annual military wage bill.

According to a statement by the presidential spokesperson, Bayo Onanuga, the pay review will take effect from September 1 and will benefit approximately 250,000 personnel across the Nigerian Army, Navy, and Air Force.

Under the new structure, personnel from the rank of colonel to warrant officer will receive a 50 per cent increase, while those from private to staff sergeant will enjoy the highest adjustment of up to 80 per cent. Senior officers above the rank of colonel, including generals, are to receive a 30 per cent increase.

The presidency noted that the revised salary package would increase the military’s annual wage bill from N660 billion to N924 billion, representing an additional N264 billion in personnel expenditure.

While the salary increase has been widely welcomed as a boost to the welfare of active service members, it has also triggered renewed agitation among retirees who argue that pension adjustments must reflect the new realities.

In response, the Minister of Defence reiterated the government’s appreciation of the sacrifices made by military veterans, assuring them that their welfare remains a priority.

He said the service and patriotism of retired personnel must be recognised through sustained attention to their legitimate entitlements, adding that efforts are underway to ensure that no group is left behind in the ongoing reforms.

Exit mobile version